Monday, February 11, 2013

Service Journalism from xoJane

The last time we went to xoJane it was to laugh and point at a crappy bit of pro-Hasidic whitewashing performed by someone named Chaya. We're back today because Camilla Grove has published some helpful advice for our gentile co-citizens entitled: How Not to be a Dick to Your Jewish Friend

Though the title she, or someone else, chose is quite bad, her suggestions are more than good. A summary:

(1) Stop bothering us about bagels
(2) Do not gush over us.
(3) Knock it off with the trivialization of the N word (Nazi)
(4) Keep your holocaust fatigue to yourself.

As a Jew myself, I have a few ideas of my own. For instance, I would like gentiles to:

(1) Stop asking me what is and what is not kosher. Look it up on Wikipedia.
(2) Be a little humble: You don't know more about Orthodox Judaism than I do. So if I, for instance, tell you how an Orthodox Jewish wedding works, don't shake your head and correct me. Jackass.
(3) Accept that Hanukkah is not the most important holiday on our calendar.
(4) Show some respect to poor old Shavuot (corollary of #3)
(5) Look at a goddamn calendar before wishing me a Happy Hanukkah. It often does not coincide with Christmas

More as it comes to me.

Search for more information about pet peeves at4torah.com 

No comments: