Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Good for the Jews

A guest post by JS:

In possibly the most important news report of the day, Israeli model, Bar Refaeli, was selected to grace the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. Another Israeli model, Esti Ginzborg, is also featured in the magazine. You can read a bit more about this and see the cover, here. So what are my feelings about this? The astute reader surely noticed that I didn't put a question mark after the title of the post.

What of not wanting to be like the other nations, tznius, and the usual objections to this sort of thing? My first response would be, "Have you seen these pictures? Good God, man!" My second, more reasoned response would be: These concerns are completely outweighed by the fact that you can't get better advertising for the Jewish people or Israel than this. Millions of people are going to see these pictures and salivate, forever creating the Pavlovian response of "Jews/Israel = happy thoughts." And in the calculus of these things, for me at least, it's very good for the Jews.



Buy my book. (please)
Buy the other guy's book. (please)
Buy my wife a gift (please)

No comments: