Thursday, December 13, 2007

What is the halachic process?

Spotted:

Rabbi Adlerstan of Cross Currents, a very bad blog: Determining practical halacha is both an art and a science.
S of On the Main Line, a very good blog: What is the basis for this statement? Is this an observation, or a kabbalah? Or perhaps it is a colloquialism?
Rabbi Adlerstan: It is a colloquialism that I received as a kabbalah from some trustworthy mentors who made the observation.

I can't begin to tell you how boring I find all discussions of halacha. The only part of it that matters to me is discovering how certain Jews thought and acted in certain places at certain times. The "halachic process" ie "Determining practical halacha" strikes me as no less political, subjective, and biased than the average supreme court decision.

No comments: